Sunday, June 13, 2010

What My Mom Should Have Taught and Told me?






Written by Mrs. Money
Continued from last publish


How to clean a cup or a glass?

Are you kidding me? .... One of such simple chaos



One of my most memorable things kept in me was I once taught my deceased uncle how to wash coffee mugs. Periodically my aunty would prepare afternoon teas for their visiting nieces (many nieces), and once we left my uncle would wash those cups. But on the next afternoon tea moment, I always saw lipstick stains on the mugs, secretly I would wipe the stains away, this went on for ages, finally one day I followed him to the kitchen pretended talking to him while he washed his mugs, then I showed him the lipstains remained over his washed mugs and I taught him how to wash a cofee mug. He happily accepted my teaching, but with the following afternoon tea meet who knew that became our last "no lipstain" cups of coffee together! Only God knows how much I miss that kind of afternoon tea moment with my dad, uncle and aunty whenever I returned to my hometown.


Holidays, I got many guests-in-resident from my mother's side, I gave them my house rules from number 1 to 10. My mother never taught me how to wash a cup or a glass, so I knew that my grandma probably never taught her daughters, I was quite sure my cousins, nephew and nieces were not taught by their respective mothers of how to wash a cup and glass properly!


Did your mother ever teach you that washing a cup or glass rim with a dish detergent soaked sponge is more important than washing other parts of a cup or glass?


The fact is we drink through a cup or glass by smudging our lips to the rim, actually those lipstick stains on the rims reminded us of dirty trace better than those after used cups or glasses with invisible lip stains, so many people didn't wash their cups or glasses with a sponged and dish detergent just because they didn't grow such awareness and some of them might even think that their own lips are cleaner than others, they simply rinsed their used cups with water.


So remember to wash the rim of a cup, a mug or a glass with a sponge and dish detegent, no matter it is your own used cup or others!

2 comments:

  1. You uncle prolly thought, who wears lipstick at home ..so 姣婆 one...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby, dont you know almost all ur female cousins wore lipsticks, red, pink, indigo, orange except not black, we were not that rock yet! Usually returned for tehsee after cruising from across river to Jakar and use the bus route to return home, instead of eating rojak and chianlok in town we preferred to pop in ur hse for ur mom's tehsee! So ended ur poor dads always washed mugs --- be fair to ur mom, "hiew po" nieces were all from ur dad' side! For hygience ... I think really have to wash the rim of a mug, as everyone drink through the rim, lipgrose won't show color not so "hiaw po" but invisible ones are most contangious and usually neglected .... don't you think so my dear!

    ReplyDelete