Thursday, September 17, 2009

Making American Country Harsh Brown Successfully

Written by Mrs. Money

I learned how to make harsh brown more than 20 years ago in Oklahoma from my hardworking country girl American housemate, Kathy Morgensteinm, I have lost my contact with her but I always remember how she taught me frying Texas harsh brown, anyhow I guess these days she should be a modern professional lady working in one of the big city along west coast.

About eight years ago, I came across harsh brown in a Kuching restaurant menu, I ordered it excitedly yet ended up teaching the chef how to prepare and fry harsh brown to “well done”.

We don’t get as good quality potatoes like Texans’, our potatoes take long time to cook to “well done”.

If time available, homemade harsh browns will defintely taste better than those frozen ready made ones from our local supermarkets

Serves 4 persons

Ingredients:
  • 2 large potatoes
  • ¼ teaspoon of salt
  • Dash of marsh onion and black pepper powder
  • Dash of paprika powder
  • Corn starch
  • Oil

Procedure:
Shred the potatoes
Immediately mix in salt, onion and black pepper powder
Cook the mixture in a microwave oven until half cook (sticky)
After cooling, use the corn starch to shape 4 pieces of 1cm thickness rectangle harsh brown
Sprinkle dash of paprika powder on the uncooked harsh brown
Fry until crunchy


8 comments:

  1. i love potato recipe taitai... Pleae provide with nice photos, with sexy apron!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Potatoes in Kuching are only good for making curry. Too starcy and break down into a mushy mess. You want me to bring back resset potato 苗 ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your profile photo and your name, it suits your character. No problem hohoyi, Eden and Eiffel sure love to wear their aprons naked as they complaint the house is too hot! I am waiting for Keiko's mom to return taking photos.

    LA cowboy: You know how those Chinese chefs prepared the dish with potatoes called "Chow Doo Meow"? After they shredded the potatoes they washed the shredded potatoes under water to wash off sticky starch, dried and stir fried. I have not heard of any Chinese restaurant in Kuching got such (simple popular dish in China) dish yet!

    Yes, talking about potatoes. The time you came we should dig pout those sweet potatoes, last weekend I found out rats ate half of them (smart rats picked those biggest, guess from diameter of skins). It was due to I was really not keen to plant it, all because Mr. Money he wanted me to plant it but I forgotten the date I planted it, the harvest was overdued.

    Tks ... I still prefer French taraggon!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgive me, sorry not "Chow Doo Meow", it's Chow Tu Doo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha.... money tai tai, i found a common thing between you and keiko's mum... han yu pin yin!

    is chao tu dou ^ ^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi tks hoyoyi, you got the right Chinese words of potato for me. I don't know how to type Chinese words in computer yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always wash shredded potatoes found here locally, then dry it with paper tower, you will get crunchier result.

    ReplyDelete