Friday, June 1, 2012

HOW TO MAKE GHERKIN (DWARF-CUCUMBER) PICKLES


Why you have to pay for RM20+ per small bottle with less than 10 gherkins?!

Money Tai Tai's homemade gherkin-pickles in Kuching


Written by Money Tai Tai

 

I think Polish's gherkin pickles is the best for my taste buds, as it is never too sour, it is flavoured by its unique spices and it is always crunchy. Once I could eat it everyday and when I left the country I had whole shelf-full of empty gherkin pickle bottles left as one of the "souvenirs" for my landlord!

Polish pickles is so expensive in Malaysia, so I decided to "DIY". Once I even paid my ex-staff's dad to plant gherkins for me specially for pickling.

Few weeks ago, I was thrilled to see some fresh gherkins for sales outside Choice Premier. I bought two packs that cost me less than RM10 (with at least 20 pickles).

The secret of getting crunchy gherkins even after 6 months later (always store in refrigerator) is to e a quick boil for your gherkins.

**********************


The following is the procedures of how to make gherkin pickles.

After washing your gherkins,  immerse them inside salt water for few hours with black pepper corns, garlic cloves, dill flowers/dills, chilies (This will be the fusion and optional)




Drain the salty water




In a pot, add water, vinegar (not too much or else will be too sour), sugar and salt, let it boils. Then add uncooked gherkins, black pepper corns, garlic and dills, have a quick boil (one boil only). Remind you never  overcook them, as that will produce soft gherkin pickles.



You can start to serve them after a week or two


No comments:

Post a Comment