Saturday, November 14, 2009

My Liberica Coffee Seedlings
A diary of coffee plants



Written by Mrs. Money



For past months I tried to browse through internet thinking of getting coffee seedlings to cultivate in my garden, and it really discouraged me when I learned how slowly for a coffee seed to grow into a mature coffee plant.

This morning one of my neighbours brought me the best gift of the year: two Liberica species coffee seedlings (from cuttings), I really wanted to give her a bear hug and kisses on her both cheeks but she said, “No no no I caught flu!”

She gave me a valuable lesson about coffee, she said this Liberica species will be the best for our altitude, as Arabica is only suitable for highland, even if I try to plant it, it might not bloom and bear fruits, and Robusta might only bear small fruits.

Can’t wait for the two babies Liberica to grow up, I am now day dreaming (looking forward) my home grown, self roasted and brewed coffee! Of course by that time I will still send my neighbour some beams even if she will be far away in Jamaica!


Nov. 14th, 2009 when I first received these two seedlings from my friend Rosma

August 2010, white coffee blossoms

Coffee blossoms smelt really good and looked pretty and pleasing

3 comments:

  1. Please let Ann's Keiko and Mochi hangout at your house, I want some Kopi Luwak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha, hmmm that's a good idea if they willing to eat the highly antioxidant coffee berries! May be Keiko and Mochi will live longer than other cats. Actually house cat shit carries notorious virus but surprisingly so far jungle cat's kopi luwak still ok, may be after high temperature roasting, virus mati

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read a coffee book said that Liberica beans taste yuk! May be when it starts to flower, I should add in an appropriate kind of fruiting fertilizer specially for coffee! Like when mango tree starts to flower ppl add salt to make the fruits sweet

    ReplyDelete